The Dish With Ann – April 2020
The coronavirus has changed everything, especially the way we eat. Some of us are cooking more. Many of us are picking up or having food delivered. As I am writing this, we are a few days into our 30-day shelter in place. In other words, only essential services will be available. But restaurants and caterers – at least the ones that are operational during this time period – are essential. It’s important that we keep supporting our restaurants and caterers, especially those that are local and are on the front lines, offering us delicious pick up and delivery choices. During these fraught times, they are particularly vulnerable to closure. Here is a list of a few favorites that are near and dear to our hearts. Enjoy and stay safe.
* 1889 Pizza Napoletana
2876 West 47th Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66103
- Pick up curbside
- Menu Suggestions: Signature Margherita wood-fired pizza, meatball, and chopped salad
* André’s Confiserie Suisse
5018 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64112
4929 West 119th Street
Overland Park, KS 66209
- Call to order carryout/curbside for any online products or menu items listed. Call us upon arrival, and we can meet you at your car with your order.
- Menu Suggestions: cheese quiche and quiche Lorraine, spinach and beef manicotti, and of course, chocolate!
*Brookside Poultry Company
408 East 63rd Street
Kansas City, MO 64110
- Carryout only
- Menu Suggestions: sour cream fried chicken, Barham Farms chicken, and shrimp and grits
*Dos de Oros
13029 Holmes Road
Kansas City, MO 64145
- Curbside pickup
- Menu Suggestions: spinach enchiladas, chiles rellenos, and Dos de Oros fajita
6943 Tomahawk Road
Prairie Village, KS 66208
- At this time, French Market Grab & Go is open, and curbside pickup is available.
- Menu Suggestions: Daniel’s French onion soup, boeuf bourguignon, and Hannah Bistro artichoke ravioli
*Lon Lane’s Inspired Occasions
6306 Morningside Drive
Kansas City, MO 64113
- Chef Stewart Lane will be offering a weekly menu Tuesdays through Saturdays, and it will have same day orders as long as they are placed by 11 a.m. All deliveries will be made between 4 and 6 p.m., and all orders will be taken by phone.
- Soups, salads, and entrees such as Zinfandel braised short ribs, chicken piccata, and New England Shepherd’s pie are just a few examples of Lon Lane’s Inspired Occasions’ selections. Said Owner Jaime Geer Steinman: “Some other food that we will have available are Mama Lane’s meat loaf and an enchilada one bake. We are making items that clients can easily freeze and eat later.”
*Lulu’s Thai Noodle Shop
2030 Central Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
2701 West 47th Avenue
Westwood, KS 66205
- We’ll ‘wok’ your food to you curbside, ubereats, or doordash.
- Menu Suggestions: Lulu’s sampler, Pad Thai, and rainbow peanut noodles
1000 West 25th Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
- Carryout and delivery
- Menu Suggestions: The Whole Bird – wood-fired chicken with a choice of four sides such as kimchi fried rice, charred broccoli, black beans, and grilled mushrooms or The Rack – adobo pork ribs with a choice of four sides
1000 West 39th Street
Kansas City, MO 64111
11051 Antioch Road
Overland Park, KS 66210
- Offering curbside pickup for their Q2GO menu and BBQ Meal Packages Sunday to Thursday.
- The Q2GO menu features staples like the Burnt End Burger, Triple Threat sandwich, Judge’s Plate, meats and sides by the pound, and more.
6322 Brookside Plaza
Kansas City, MO 64113
- Delivery over $40 available. Carryout and curbside pickup.
- Menu Suggestions: sushi, ebisu ramen, and maki rolls
*Summit Grill (Waldo Location)
520 West 75th Street
Kansas City, MO 64114
- Curbside pick-up at all three Summit Grill locations (Waldo, Lee’s Summit, and Gladstone) is available from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. The limited menu includes signature Summit Grill fare like the Ultimate Grilled Cheese, Chicken Fried Chicken, Steak Street Tacos, Farmhouse Burger, and more. In addition, six-packs of beer and bottles of wine are available to go (no food purchase necessary).
When I first asked Chef Cherven Desauguste where he was from, he said, “Planet Earth.” This exemplifies his sense of humor and joie de vivre in terms of cooking and…
In this age of coronavirus, there is only so much cooking a person can bear. Yes, baking can be soothing when you’re feeling anxious and cooped up. But let’s face…
When I was looking for a restaurant I hadn’t visited, my friend, Lynne, said, ‘Have you considered one of my family’s favorite Mexican restaurants, Dos de Oros?” I hadn’t. But…
With its Scandinavian sleek and industrial minimalist design, Strang Hall is the cool new chef collective in downtown Overland Park. Named after William B. Strang, Jr., who platted Overland Park…